ESPN article on Villanova's 5 year run

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:00 am

For as much (well deserved) grief we give ESPN, they can deliver from time to time. Fantastic article here:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... e-year-run
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN article on Villanova's 5 year run

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 am

Good article - a good amount of it was essentially rehashed from all the articles that came out about Villanova right around the time of their National Championship run from Dana O'Neil, but I'm not going to complain about positive press for a league member.

I'm sure other programs in the league essentially try to do things them same way as Villanova (process, not results based, character counts, etc.). I know Butler is focused on that in their recruiting, game-planning and the like, but the execution of the plan is what has truly set Villanova apart from the rest of the league and from most teams in the rest of the country.
Irishdawg

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm

Aside from the team first attitude that is embraced in the program, I think the other key to Wright’s success is player development. I’m as optimistic a fan as the come, but even I have been shocked at how well these kids progress in every facet of their games over 3-4 years. It’s funny but every year I see comments like: “they’ll take a step back because they lost...Arch and Ochefu,” (and Nova fans know that Hart and Brunson are ready to bust out), or Hart (and we all know Bridges is a star, waiting to take his place). Next year it’ll be Bridges and Brunson, but in steps DiVincenzo, Paschall and Spellman. The beat goes on IMO.

I’m not naive to expect this same level of success to go unchallenged. There are GREAT programs in this league and I expect that several will continue to elevate their programs and supplant Nova at the top (might even be this year with X). But like him, and his perfectly tailored suits or not, the bar that JW has set for other programs to try to match will make each program better and this a collectively better league.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm

There will be no tie at the top this year. Xavier will win the BE as Creighton will beat Nova in Omaha.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:40 pm

No way GTMO, I hear we're wearing Marquette yellow for our uniforms when we get there!
Novachap

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:54 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:There will be no tie at the top this year. Xavier will win the BE as Creighton will beat Nova in Omaha.

No doubt that could happen. And X could lose at G’town or DePaul or home vs PC if not careful. All games are tough games.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby scoscox » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:04 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:There will be no tie at the top this year. Xavier will win the BE as Creighton will beat Nova in Omaha.

No doubt that could happen. And X could lose at G’town or DePaul or home vs PC if not careful. All games are tough games.

Very easily. Those will all be tough games.
scoscox

Postby Nildogg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Single year success is nothing, have to sustain what Nova has to say someone else is up there. Xavier is going to fall off after this year.
Nildogg

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm

I hear ya Nildogg. However, where I come from a Championship is a championship...sometimes you only get 1.

I love sustained success like the next man...but you only get it 1 year at a time. If I can snag it now - I'll take it and let next season worry about next year.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:41 am

Kevin Ollie should read that article.
Bill Marsh

Return to Big East basketball message board