2018 Season - Non-BE Games Of Interest...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2018 Season - Non-BE Games Of Interest...

Postby FriarJ » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Memphis vs UConn is the same thing, only in front of about 1k fans. The AAC is just terrible and I actually feel bad for UConn and their fans.
FriarJ

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Burrito » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:15 pm

FriarJ wrote:Memphis vs UConn is the same thing, only in front of about 1k fans. The AAC is just terrible and I actually feel bad for UConn and their fans.

UConn loses to Memphis 49-73. They need to replace Kevin Ollie.
Burrito

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:25 pm

UConn Losses by 24+ Points:
This season - 3
Previous 20 seasons - 3
Jet915

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:27 am

A decade or so ago I could not imagine expecting much success with a 3 game road trip to SJU, then G’town, then @ UConn. Now... it’s amazing how fortunes can turn on a dime in college hoops. Programs can’t get complacent and bad programs can rise quickly with a good hire or a recruiting class or two (looking at you DePaul).

Hoping Saturday is a bloodbath. If Nova spanks them really well at home, on national TV, maybe it’s the final straw for Ollie.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 am

Why feel bad for UConn fans? They made their bed and are sleeping in it now. They were at a crossroads and chose to go all-in with football over basketball despite zero college football footprint in the tri-state area (college football in the tri-state is nearly nonexistent and any "fans" are front runners of Ohio State, Bama, etc.) and a huge college basketball footprint. They went against logic and lost. They had their golden age...it ended and the fans are throwing fits. I don't think they've had a losing record in what 20 years? 4 championships in the past 20? Please...let them fall further into the black hole. Their worst year would be a great year under Mullin.
MullinMayhem

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 am

MullinMayhem wrote: Their worst year would be a great year under Mullin.

He says while ignoring that St. John's is currently 74 spots in front of UConn on kenpom.
Irishdawg

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:46 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Why feel bad for UConn fans? They made their bed and are sleeping in it now. They were at a crossroads and chose to go all-in with football over basketball despite zero college football footprint in the tri-state area (college football in the tri-state is nearly nonexistent and any "fans" are front runners of Ohio State, Bama, etc.) and a huge college basketball footprint. They went against logic and lost. They had their golden age...it ended and the fans are throwing fits. I don't think they've had a losing record in what 20 years? 4 championships in the past 20? Please...let them fall further into the black hole. Their worst year would be a great year under Mullin.

Sounds like the buyout is 10 million if they can Ollie.....yikes.
Jet915

Postby mpwalsh8 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:47 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:A decade or so ago I could not imagine expecting much success with a 3 game road trip to SJU, then G’town, then @ UConn. Now... it’s amazing how fortunes can turn on a dime in college hoops. Programs can’t get complacent and bad programs can rise quickly with a good hire or a recruiting class or two (looking at you DePaul).

Hoping Saturday is a bloodbath. If Nova spanks them really well at home, on national TV, maybe it’s the final straw for Ollie.

I am unusually worried about this game, not sure why. In some ways losing to Uconn would be about the worst possible loss possible for Villanova.

1) It is Uconn.
2) It is a really bad Uconn team.
3) It would give Uconn fans something to hold over Villanova's head for a long time.

On the plus side it would probably keep Ollie employed for another year.

I live in North Carolina so losing to NC State in the second round of the NCAA tournament a couple years ago (Piccolo Girl game) was bad as I had to live with NC State fans bringing it up for a long time. Some still mention it. The NC State student section still has a cardboard cut out of Piccolo Girl they hold up during free throws. On a personal, affected me on a daily basis level, the loss to NC State was bad. Losing to Uconn would be far worse. My detest for Uconn goes way back. I'd rather lose to any other team in the BE by 20 than lose to Uconn.
mpwalsh8

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 am

Burrito wrote:
FriarJ wrote:Memphis vs UConn is the same thing, only in front of about 1k fans. The AAC is just terrible and I actually feel bad for UConn and their fans.

Announced attendance for Memphis vs. UCONN: 2,417. How far these two have fallen...
Jet915

Postby FriarJ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Burrito wrote:

Announced attendance for Memphis vs. UCONN: 2,417. How far these two have fallen...

I can't believe I'm saying this but there was no way that many people at the game. The AAC is a complete dumpster fire when it comes to attendance.
FriarJ

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board