Big East football? No, seriously: FCS!

The home for Big East Soccer, Baseball, Lacrosse, and more

Postby Dangus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:52 am

I was very glad when the Big East Seven broke away from the football conference later to be known as the American. Big-time football was a corrupting influence. But what about small-time football? I think the Big East is now established enough it needn't worry being called the Little East... and I think an FCS conference would help grow rivalries, cement affilations, and maybe even help avoid corrupting influence via football.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Big East, you know you're going to 12 teams, and I'm glad you're being patient about it. But it's so natural, it's going to happen. The question is whether it's Saint Louis, Duquesne, or Dayton. Let's face it, Dayton is by far the superior program; the only thing is it shares a TV market with Xavier. It's even got pretty good Women's basketball.
(But Duquesne also has an FCS football program and could also be included.)

Villanova, Georgetown and Butler all have FCS football programs, and thank God, none of them seem to have ambitions for FBS, despite Villanova being really pretty good. Let's face it, Connecticut... you're not FBS material, sorry. Swallow your pride and come back to FCS. It makes more sense to play with Villanova than with Ball State.

So that's five BIg East core teams. Or six if both Duquesne AND Dayton join, even if only one of them joins the main (basketball) conference.

Then there's San Diego, which is stuck traveling cross-country no matter what. It comes from the mostly Catholic, non-football West Coast Conference and was undefeated in football conference play. For San Diego, this is kind of a no-brainer. "CALIFORNIA???" you cry in shock and outrage. Hey, it's not like even Richmond is a bus trip from Philly.

Other candidates for football-only schools include Fordham, Marist, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross... and Monmouth, a non-sectarian, private school in New Jersey which is ranked #12.

And yes, to double back to a 12-team Big East. Talk about great divisions: Xavier, Dayton (or Duquesne or St. Louis), Butler, Marquette, DePaul and Creighton; and Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Saint John's, Connecticut and Providence.
Dangus

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East football? No, seriously: FCS!

Postby redmen9194 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:29 pm

Once you establish a football league, regardless of level, those members will want in for basketball. We are and should remain an 11 team league that in no way sponsors football at any level. It's not needed nor necessary.
redmen9194

Re: Big East football? No, seriously: FCS!

Postby robbo1010 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:56 am

the move from NCAA football has definitely helped these guys get a stronger basketball program with the added attraction of playing college basketball in NY. Xavier is a great example and they really cant compete with bearcats, buckeyes and even the bobcats in their area nevermind michigan and other big ten schools.
robbo1010

Return to Big East Men's Sports