Lacrosse

The home for Big East Soccer, Baseball, Lacrosse, and more

Re: Lacrosse

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Marquette has announced its 2014 Lacrosse schedule, since many of your games vs us are listed figured it would be of interest.

Marquette lacrosse schedule:
01/25/14 at High Point (preseason) High Point, N.C. 11:00 a.m. CT
02/01/14 at Michigan (preseason) Ann Arbor, Mich. 12:00 p.m. CT
02/08/14 at Lehigh Bethlehem, Pa. 11:00 a.m. CT
02/15/14 at Hofstra Hempstead, N.Y. 11:00 a.m. CT
02/22/14 at Ohio State Columbus, Ohio 11:00 a.m. CT
03/01/14 at Marist Poughkeepskie, N.Y. 12:00 p.m. CT
03/08/14 at Jacksonville Jacksonville, Fla. 12:00 p.m. CT
03/11/14 at Duke Durham, N.C. 6:00 p.m. CT
03/15/14 at Detroit Detroit, Mich. 11:00 a.m. CT
03/22/14 vs. Villanova Milwaukee, Wis. 1:00 p.m. CT
03/29/14 at Rutgers Piscataway, N.J. 12:00 p.m. CT
04/01/14 vs. Bellarmine Milwaukee, Wis. 7:00 p.m. CT
04/06/14 at St. John's Queens, N.Y. 12:00 p.m. CT
04/08/14 vs. Notre Dame Milwaukee, Wis. 4:00 p.m. CT
04/12/14 vs. Providence Milwaukee, Wis. 12:00 p.m. CT
04/19/14 vs. Georgetown Milwaukee, Wis. 1:00 p.m. CT
04/26/14 at Denver Denver, Colo. 1:00 p.m. CT

BIG EAST Men's Lacrosse Championship
05/01/14 vs. BIG EAST semifinal Philadelphia, Pa. TBA
05/03/14 vs. BIG EAST final Philadelphia, Pa. TBA

Some potential conference lacrosse affiliates on this schedule.
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:54 pm

I've now penciled in April Fools day as pay back day.
BillEsq

Postby notkirkcameron » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:13 pm

trephin wrote:It would be great to see SHU or DePaul elevate their programs but (and I hate to ask or mention) is there an issue with funding and/or Title IX? I don't know how the compliance is at either school, but I bet the issue is more than funding the 12.6 scholarships for men's lax.

Facilities are a major challenge for DePaul ever elevating lacrosse beyond the club level. DePaul's club team plays in the park by Diversey Harbor, nestled between Lake Shore Drive, and a driving range. It's Chicago Park District property, no stands or any signage.

Using DePaul facilities at Wish Field/Cacciatore Stadium is unrealistic as it would be a scheduling nightmare. DePaul uses that facility for its softball team in the spring, and I can't imagine them disassembling/reassembling the outfield wall/covering the infield dirt every couple of days depending on whether softball or lacrosse was at home. Construction of a field capable of hosting lacrosse in the area is extremely unlikely as Lincoln Park is densely populated, and you're not building off-campus facilities for a non-revenue sport.
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:10 pm

notkirkcameron wrote:
trephin wrote:It would be great to see SHU or DePaul elevate their programs but (and I hate to ask or mention) is there an issue with funding and/or Title IX? I don't know how the compliance is at either school, but I bet the issue is more than funding the 12.6 scholarships for men's lax.

Facilities are a major challenge for DePaul ever elevating lacrosse beyond the club level. DePaul's club team plays in the park by Diversey Harbor, nestled between Lake Shore Drive, and a driving range. It's Chicago Park District property, no stands or any signage.

Using DePaul facilities at Wish Field/Cacciatore Stadium is unrealistic as it would be a scheduling nightmare. DePaul uses that facility for its softball team in the spring, and I can't imagine them disassembling/reassembling the outfield wall/covering the infield dirt every couple of days depending on whether softball or lacrosse was at home. Construction of a field capable of hosting lacrosse in the area is extremely unlikely as Lincoln Park is densely populated, and you're not building off-campus facilities for a non-revenue sport.

Well where does Depaul play spring soccer?
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby notkirkcameron » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:24 pm

MUSeashells&Balloons wrote:
notkirkcameron wrote:

Well where does Depaul play spring soccer?

Last year, they didn't play one spring soccer game on campus, presumably because Wish Field is occupied by the Softball team in the Spring.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/dep ... update.pdf

This year, DePaul's softball team is at home every other weekend from March to May. If DePaul Lacrosse were to play at Wish Field, that would mean the following field conversions (assuming a 7-game Big East conference slate, and one non-conference game at home (Notre Dame, Michigan, take your pick).

First Lacrosse home game (Nonconference)
Field conversion 1: Lacrosse to softball sometime before March 22nd (Softball vs. St. Johns March 22-23)
Field conversion 2: Softball to Lacrosse sometime between March 22nd and March 28th (Softball away. Lacrosse Conference Home game #1)
Field conversion 3: Lacrosse to Softball sometime between March 29th and April 4th (Softball home vs. Notre Dame April 4, Seton Hall April 5-6, and, assuming no midweek lacrosse games (no lights), Georgetown April 12-13)
Field conversion 4: Softball to Lacrosse sometime between April 14th and April 18 (Softball away. Lacrosse conference home game #2)
Field conversion 5: Lacrosse to Softball sometime between April 20th and April 25th (Softball vs. Villanova April 26-27, Northwestern April 30)
Field conversion 6: Softball to Lacrosse sometime between April 26th and May 2nd (Softball away. Lacrosse conference home game #3)
Field conversion 7: Lacrosse to Softball sometime between May 3rd and May 7th (Training site for Big East Softball Tournament in Rosemont)

Big East Tournament for Lacrosse is at Villanova May 1-3, so if DePaul had to play 4 home conference games, you'd have to find another weekend, or another time where they could squeeze that last game in.

So yes, you could do it, but you're tearing down/rebuilding the walls, and covering/uncovering the infield every couple of days in a condensed spring sports schedule (where we're assuming no softball games get rained out/rescheduled), in a facility with no floodlights at a time of the year when it still gets dark pretty early (which makes midweek games more difficult), and potentially 3 other tenants (Men's/Women's spring soccer, Softball). Further, if the walls are up, you're going to compromise the soccer/lacrosse teams' ability to practice, and if the walls are down, the softball team spends half its practices shagging fly balls. Adding a women's team to balance scholarships would present additional strain on the facilities in terms of equipment storage, scheduling, and even wear and tear on the turf, and all of this is being done for a nonrevenue sport.
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
notkirkcameron

Postby gosports1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Air Force would be a good addition. I have mixed feelings about schools upgrading to varsity. main concern is the big time fb schools dumping money into programs and causing smaller schools to be left behind
gosports1

Postby notkirkcameron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Marquette received votes in this week's Warrior Top 20 Lacrosse poll following a narrow loss against Lehigh, and a victory at Hofstra. For a program that had never played a Division I game this time last year, this is an incredible accomplishment.
notkirkcameron

Postby marquette » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:30 pm

notkirkcameron wrote:Marquette received votes in this week's Warrior Top 20 Lacrosse poll following a narrow loss against Lehigh, and a victory at Hofstra. For a program that had never played a Division I game this time last year, this is an incredible accomplishment.

Wow, that's crazy
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:11 pm

What happens to the Big East conference once affiliate members Rutgers and Louisville leave? I know they have Denver as an affiliate, but is there a certain number than needs to be met to officially have a conference tournament?
GoldenWarrior11

Postby trephin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:15 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:What happens to the Big East conference once affiliate members Rutgers and Louisville leave? I know they have Denver as an affiliate, but is there a certain number than needs to be met to officially have a conference tournament?

Louisville doesn't currently sponsor men's lacrosse. The only minimum number is to have an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. The conference will have that minimum of 6 schools. A conference can hold a conference tournament with less; See ACC.

On the women's side, there are 8 schools including Louisville and Rutgers.
trephin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East Men's Sports