Lacrosse

The home for Big East Soccer, Baseball, Lacrosse, and more

Lacrosse

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:30 am

Would you want to add Air Force in Lacrosse?

The ECAC will dissolve in 2015(partly because we took Denver) so they are definitely available and they need somewhere to go could help make trips to Denver more cost effective.
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Lacrosse

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Lacrosse

Postby trephin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:27 pm

If the question is would "I" want AF then no. Now that the AQ and conference stability are secure with 6 schools, there is not a NEED for more. If DU wants them or the conference wants to help AF avoid independence than ok. Lacrosse Magazine reported that AF was "reaching out" to the Atlantic Sun but haven't seen anything more since that report.

http://laxmagazine.com/college_men/DI/2 ... lantic_sun
trephin

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:41 pm

One of the big advantages to adding AF would be the Mile High Classic could become a Big East ordeal one of three big lacrosse tournament(think Maui, wooden classic, etc...). Colorado right now has some of the top recruits as the sport has high popularity there. It might be a good place to grab attention and mind share. Besides the benefits of a big tournament game.
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

Postby marquette » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:06 am

I would like the conference to be bigger for the sake of stability, but I would prefer adding either a full member with lacrosse or someone already in the conference picking up lacrosse. If we wind up adding them, though I won't be disappointed.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby JOPO » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 am

Seton Hall currently has lacrosse at the club level. The sport is very popular in New Jersey and a lot of people at Seton Hall would love to see the university sponsor it at the varsity level. Hopefully someone with the power to make that sort of thing happen will.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby Omahanian » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

JOPO wrote:Seton Hall currently has lacrosse at the club level. The sport is very popular in New Jersey and a lot of people at Seton Hall would love to see the university sponsor it at the varsity level. Hopefully someone with the power to make that sort of thing happen will.

Creighton has had Lacrosse at club level. (I assume they still do.) The youth leagues and high school clubs are really gaining momentum here. I read some of the obstacles to Creighton going to team level and Big East Lacrosse membership. But if they choose to take this on in the next year or few, I think this would be good for the conference. It was be huge for the further development of the sport here in the midwest. And it would be absolutely fantastic for the growing number of Lacrosse fans here like me. I would love to see east coast Lacrosse at Morrison Stadium.
C R E I G H T O N
Omahanian

Postby trephin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:00 pm

marquette wrote:I would like the conference to be bigger for the sake of stability, but I would prefer adding either a full member with lacrosse or someone already in the conference picking up lacrosse. If we wind up adding them, though I won't be disappointed.

Do you mean for the overall conference stability or for lacrosse conference stability?

How do you see the conference lacking stability from either perspective?

Obviously full conference talk has been about going to 12, but I don't see any threats of schools leaving any time soon. I see the same from a lacrosse perspective. Hypothetically, if a western lacrosse conference comes into existence, then maybe AFA would help anchor DU to the Big East. Any new conference formation does not seem to be in any short or medium term planning though and, again, no other school would be looking to leave. With each year, you would also think DU becomes more settled into the conference and thus more stability.

The conference will be at 7 for 2014 so adding AFA on 2015 wouldn't be different except for the travel which may or may not be an issue for schools (debatable value in travel partners)
trephin

Postby trephin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 pm

JOPO wrote:Seton Hall currently has lacrosse at the club level. The sport is very popular in New Jersey and a lot of people at Seton Hall would love to see the university sponsor it at the varsity level. Hopefully someone with the power to make that sort of thing happen will.

It would be great to see SHU or DePaul elevate their programs but (and I hate to ask or mention) is there an issue with funding and/or Title IX? I don't know how the compliance is at either school, but I bet the issue is more than funding the 12.6 scholarships for men's lax.
trephin

Postby marquette » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Lacrosse conference stability is my concern. We have 7 for this year, however Rutgers is leaving next year which brings us to 6 (minimum for an auto bid). Should Denver ever find a better situation for them (not saying it will happen, but it could) they have shown they have no problem leaving even if it screws the conference they are in. I would like to be protected from the possibility, however remote it may be.

In regards to the full members, stability should not be a problem. For the most part the BCS conferences seem to only want football schools. None of us play football, and we are the best non-BCS basketball conference (and better than some of the BCS conferences).
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Jet915 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:03 pm

trephin wrote:

It would be great to see SHU or DePaul elevate their programs but (and I hate to ask or mention) is there an issue with funding and/or Title IX? I don't know how the compliance is at either school, but I bet the issue is more than funding the 12.6 scholarships for men's lax.

I really think that IS the issue. 12.6 scholarships for men's lax isn't a big deal, but then you have to fund atleast 12.6 scholarships for a women's sport (probably field hockey?). After that, then you have to consider the money required for team travel and that equals alot of $$$.
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East Men's Sports