OT: Johns Hopkins ending independence

The home for Big East Soccer, Baseball, Lacrosse, and more

Postby yorost » Fri May 17, 2013 4:23 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacr ... 3764.story

Just men, but it's now official that they are going to affiliate with someone. Article mentions...

B1G: no lacrosse yet but could with an affiliate
ACC: don't need an autobid so shortage of numbers does not matter, but would be the prestigious landing spot
ECAC: not likely to ever be a stable conference if the sport continues to grow
Big East: mistakenly counts Rutgers long term so misses that we need a new lacrosse member

Interesting points are that they want a no kick out clause, won't give up ESPNU deal, and they have the option to renew membership every so often. Definitely a sweetheart deal they're after, which cannot hurt the Big East's chances. Not sure the ACC or B1G would want to give in to demands, but we'd probably just be happy to get the relevancy in lacrosse. :lol:
yorost

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: OT: Johns Hopkins ending independence

Postby admin » Fri May 17, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm not very LAX knowledgeable, but we should do whatever we can to improve the league and this would most certainly be a huge benefit.
admin
Site Admin

Postby marquette » Fri May 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Even as a 5 year rental they could potentially do wonders for our conference. A legitimate lacrosse power with a strong tradition would instantly put us on the map. Plus it would give us time to add other associate members or for current schools to add programs.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby bmorex » Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 pm

I think they'll go ACC if they want to keep their rivalries intact.
bmorex

Postby yorost » Fri May 17, 2013 10:17 pm

..or B1G for Maryland and some room to breathe in conference.

We don't have much chance, I think, unless those two decide they do not want Johns Hopkins. Demands do make that seem somewhat more of a possibility than before.
yorost

Postby pki1998 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:50 pm

I don't buy the Big Ten adding John Hopkins. They have never had an affiliate member before. They played hard ball with ND and Big Ten Hockey. In addition they aren't going to let John Hopkins keep their ESPN contract if they were willing to do that type of arrange Texas would be a full member of the Big Ten right now
Xavier
pki1998

Postby BillEsq » Sat May 18, 2013 4:16 pm

interesting...
i'd say with the demands... 1% chance big ten (already have maryland as well)
ECAC 1% chance... (just really no reason to join might as well remain independent-plus ECAC has a fox deal)
Big East 10% chance... (arguable institution fit but like the ECAC Hopkins would be class of the league (maybe its what they want) travel isn't as bad as the ECAC but same fox sports deal)

87% ACC- actually more of an institutional fit with the ACC lacrosse schools. ACC already has ESPN deal. competition level ect.

1% margin of error and other conferences. (actually the Patriot league may have a fighting chance in this but since its not rumored I'll put it here).
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I think your percentage is a little out there on the ACC. John's Hopkins might choose the ACC, but will the ACC be accepting of an affiliate that comes with demands? Johns Hopkins is a great program, but the ACC does not need Johns Hopkins. Most of their programs will be able to sign Johns Hopkins OOC and the ACC has no need of an auto bid. They might even like how their combined clout and fewer teams gives them flexibility in OOC. Does it really gain ESPN anything for them to join the ACC? If they already have them all signed, why push them together? Future deals is the only thing I can think of.

I'd guess ACC, too, but the demands and the ACC's lack of need make it sketchy.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Mon May 20, 2013 4:28 pm

yorost wrote:I think your percentage is a little out there on the ACC. John's Hopkins might choose the ACC, but will the ACC be accepting of an affiliate that comes with demands? Johns Hopkins is a great program, but the ACC does not need Johns Hopkins. Most of their programs will be able to sign Johns Hopkins OOC and the ACC has no need of an auto bid. They might even like how their combined clout and fewer teams gives them flexibility in OOC. Does it really gain ESPN anything for them to join the ACC? If they already have them all signed, why push them together? Future deals is the only thing I can think of.

I'd guess ACC, too, but the demands and the ACC's lack of need make it sketchy.

As far as the ACC dealing with teams with demands.... please see Notre Dame.

And yes while the ACC has no need for an auto bid- neither does Hopkins.

Honestly i was championing the Hopkins for the Patriot in an earlier thread but as they are apparently not rumored i left them out. Plus it does get the ACC back into Maryland to some extent (not that its the biggest or deciding factor).
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Mon May 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Oh please, Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins are far different stories. Look no further than Notre Dame being responsible for that $50 million buyout while Johns Hopkins is asking for the freedom to leave the conference every few years with no right for the conference to kick them out. Notre Dame raised all of our school's payouts by $1-$2 million, while Johns Hopkins will just keep their own nice little deal. Notre Dame is prestige, money and a deep commitment. Johns Hopkins is prestige on a lesser scale.

The auto bid does matter to Johns Hopkins. They said so right in their announcement. For the ACC that auto bid will rarely represent a chance to get an extra team in. At 6 teams, 4 at larges might be the norm in the ACC, so what good would it do in a 4 team tournament?
yorost

Next

Return to Big East Men's Sports