Non-Rev Rumors

The home for Big East Soccer, Baseball, Lacrosse, and more

Re: Non-Rev Rumors

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:50 pm

St. John's is indeed a very good baseball team. I think SLU/SJ would be some fun games. It's funny how little attention college baseball gets in the area, which MLB fans call "Baseball Heaven".

Not long ago, Saint Louis University's baseball team was so bad they wouldn't play any local teams. College baseball at the lower levels in the STL area is quite good. SIU-E at the D2 level (now D1), McKendree, Lindenwood, and Missouri Baptist (NAIA, now D2 except for MoBap) were all very good at the same time. SLU lost to MoBap and SIUE at different times, and didn't play McKendree or Lindenwood.

So that's a sport I think SLU could do well in as a BE member. The basketball should be pretty good too.
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 pm

For Billesq, your Bellarmine is my McKendree. :)
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

Postby BillEsq » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:31 am

DumpsterFireA10 wrote:For Billesq, your Bellarmine is my McKendree. :)

Good ole McKendre.. now in the same conference McKendre was a monster NAIA basketball school a little overmatched in D2 but i actually got to see Bellarmine play there back in the winter. Actually been on campus a few times nice lil school some fond memories. Actually they have an outreach branch here in Louisville.
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 am

DumpsterFireA10 wrote:St. John's is indeed a very good baseball team. I think SLU/SJ would be some fun games. It's funny how little attention college baseball gets in the area, which MLB fans call "Baseball Heaven".

Not long ago, Saint Louis University's baseball team was so bad they wouldn't play any local teams. College baseball at the lower levels in the STL area is quite good. SIU-E at the D2 level (now D1), McKendree, Lindenwood, and Missouri Baptist (NAIA, now D2 except for MoBap) were all very good at the same time. SLU lost to MoBap and SIUE at different times, and didn't play McKendree or Lindenwood.

So that's a sport I think SLU could do well in as a BE member. The basketball should be pretty good too.

Baseball has this thing called the Mason Dixon line. If your south of it your good and baseball is a potential revenue generator. If your north of it your not so good and its a revenue hole. BE baseball/ ATen as well will never be able to truly compete with the big boys in baseball the Southland/Sunbelt/Atlantic Sun all rightly rank ahead of us in Baseball.
BillEsq

Postby Bluejay » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:02 pm

BillEsq wrote:
Bluejay wrote:
marquette wrote:If that's accurate then we should be fine for everything except women's rowing and men's swimming/diving for next year. Seems like the presidents are doing a decent job of getting things together.

I know for several years that Creighton's rowing team has competed in the WCC because the MVC did not have rowing. If we have to have some our schools compete as affiliate members elsewhere in sports like rowing and men's swimming/diving, I doubt many will even notice, let alone care. These sports produce ZERO revenue and hemorrhage cash.

Truth be told, the BE would probably be better off "encouraging" schools competing in these sports to replace them with something else that a greater number of BE conference members actually participate in...

Actually your wrong. Men's swimming will have 9 teams and women's crew will have 10. Furthermore its a load of crap to think that the BE would be better encouraging schools competing in sports to replace them off with others. Because lets face it the biggest non-rev cash hemorrhage for any of these schools is baseball, and i doubt any Creighton fan would be willing to sign off on eliminating that sport. Also while i understand your concern (or lack of concern for women's crew) you should understand that rowing as a sport is like bowling, its set up so differently from the other sports conference affiliation almost doesn't matter (see st. Johns fencing).

Anyways i'm sure you meant well with your post but its factually incorrect, fails to understand the structure of NCAA sports and non-rev economics, it also fails to appreciate how title IX affects the decision making process of determining non-rev sports, and while you might not care i personally know that there is at least one self described chlorine head who views this sight.

I'm not sure what I am wrong about. The only fact based statement I made is that Creighton has had rowing in the WCC because the MVC didn't sponsor that sport. That statement is correct.

As to the comments about affiliate memberships as to rowing and swimming/diving, I was relying on the prior poster's comments that we did not have enough teams to support those sports within the BE. If that poster is wrong and we do have enough teams, than there is no issue.

With respect to the remainder of your condescending attack, I don't see the harm in suggesting that schools, where possible, support sports recognized by the conference rather than sports in which they will have to seek out memberships elsewhere (the implication, which I assumed was self evident, but apparently not for all, is that they would still do it while maintaining mandatory Title IX guidelines :roll:) . The fact of the matter is that when it comes to non-money sports, the participants and coaches/staff care greatly, but the remainder of the public, student body and alumni do not really possess much, if any, interest. Sure, they like to hear about winning programs, but would probably be hard pressed to name any team members or, in some cases, even the name of the head coach.

You've made it clear that you are very, very interested in the non-revenue sports. What you have failed to accept is that most people aren't, at least to the point of regularly purchasing tickets to attend the events. That is an indisputable fact; it isn't "wrong." The BE should certainly do its best to support nonrevs, but long term decisions about the league always have to made around basketball, even if that proves to be detrimental to certain nonrevs or even all nonrevs.
Bluejay

Postby BillEsq » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Sorry i didn't want to sound too condescending. I just don't think you can write off Non-Revs so completely. In fact i think that having successful non-revs is highly important to the overall health of an athletic department and to in this case Basketball. Athletic departments need to have a culture of winning period the days of having one good program are gone. U of L realized this in the '90s and completely re did the entire mentality of the program, not just in basketball but in all sports. UK has done the same thing, as Duke and ND and countless others. Recruits see the winning mentality in all programs as do potential coaches. Its whole package time now.

In regards to the title IX reference i mentioned that because you mentioned women's rowing. I agree having women's rowing in Creighton is likely a money pit however women's crew gives you 20 scholarships. Without Women's crew you can basically eliminate 2 other men's sports. In Creighton's circumstance that means you have to eliminate both Msoccer and Mbaseball. Which unfortunately they can't do as it would put them under the threshold or required sports to remain a Div1 program. So if you want to eliminate women's crew you have to add at least two women's non revs. Now you have two money pits as opposed to one money pit. (and now you know why women's crew is one of the fastest growing women's sport)
BillEsq

Postby marquette » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:50 pm

BillEsq wrote:
Actually your wrong. Men's swimming will have 9 teams and women's crew will have 10.

What 9 schools do you think have men's swimming/diving? As far as I can find we have Xavier, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, and Georgetown. By my count that's 5. Women's rowing has Creighton, Georgetown, and Villanova. If you can name 4 more men's and 7 more women's programs I'll happily update my charts, but otherwise I'll go by my own research.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby BillEsq » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 pm

marquette wrote:
BillEsq wrote:
Actually your wrong. Men's swimming will have 9 teams and women's crew will have 10.

What 9 schools do you think have men's swimming/diving? As far as I can find we have Xavier, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, and Georgetown. By my count that's 5. Women's rowing has Creighton, Georgetown, and Villanova. If you can name 4 more men's and 7 more women's programs I'll happily update my charts, but otherwise I'll go by my own research.

Louisville, Connecticut, SMU, Cincinnati for men's swimming (in one year Louisville goes to the ACC and East Carolina becomes a member)

for women's crew I know louisville has a squad and i assuming that the other 7 schools are AAC schools however without looking at each one i can't confirm that. My information is based of Wikipedia so... take it for what it is. Of course both of these numbers are if the AAC and BE will be merging some of their nonrevs as heavily indicated and if you go back and read the thread was the basis of my statement.

I am curious though, in women's crew there will be more AAC teams than BE teams and the AAC does not need the BE teams to form a league. Will there be a merger in that sport? or will the BE teams play under the AAC banner? is this official yet? or are we still waiting on more info?
BillEsq

Postby marquette » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:55 pm

BillEsq wrote:
Louisville, Connecticut, SMU, Cincinnati for men's swimming (in one year Louisville goes to the ACC and East Carolina becomes a member)

for women's crew I know louisville has a squad and i assuming that the other 7 schools are AAC schools however without looking at each one i can't confirm that. My information is based of Wikipedia so... take it for what it is. Of course both of these numbers are if the AAC and BE will be merging some of their nonrevs as heavily indicated and if you go back and read the thread was the basis of my statement.

I am curious though, in women's crew there will be more AAC teams than BE teams and the AAC does not need the BE teams to form a league. Will there be a merger in that sport? or will the BE teams play under the AAC banner? is this official yet? or are we still waiting on more info?

Until such a time as an official announcement is made I will assume that they are only cooperating in the case of Rutgers lacrosse. Hypotheticals and $3.99 will get me a gallon of gas.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby MUSeashells&Balloons » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 am

Marquette is announcing its volleyball schedule Today. Here is the Big East Schedule:
@MarquetteVB: The Golden Eagles begin the 2013 BIG EAST slate at DePaul on Saturday, Sept. 28 and will face all eight league programs home and away. MU plays its first 4 BIG EAST matches at DePaul (9/28), at GU (10/4), at VU (10/5) and at Creighton (10/13) before hosting DePaul (10/19). The weekend of Oct. 25-27 MU will host Creighton on Friday, Villanova on Saturday and Georgetown on Sunday. MU will face just four opponents in November in regular season action. Butler, Xavier, Seton Hall and St. John’s both home and away. Marquette hosts Butler on Senior Day at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 23 at the Al McGuire Center. BIG EAST tourney Nov. 29-30 in Omaha, Neb.

Looks Like we finally have our first official schedule of the new conference. Official Volleyball tourney in Omaha(Marquette had hosted past 3 Big East Volleyball tournaments).

Heres a link to the complete schedule: http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-volley/sched/marq-w-volley-sched.html
Coach Al Mcguire:
"I like seashells and balloons, ribbons and medals, bare feet and wet grass."
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."
"Queen of victory, pray for us."
MUSeashells&Balloons

PreviousNext

Return to Big East Men's Sports