Non-Rev Rumors

The home for Big East Soccer, Baseball, Lacrosse, and more

Re: Non-Rev Rumors

Postby yorost » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 pm

NovaSpider wrote:
MUSeashells&Balloons wrote: Bellarmine is a great lacrosse program

You may have a different definition of great than me. Since the jump in 2005 Bellarmine has had 2 winning seasons (2005, 2010). 2005 was a good season at 13 -2 but this was their schedule http://www.laxpower.com/common/show_sch ... _year=2005 . 2009 was a strong team in a good conference.

I don't think you need to add a team to the conference. 6 teams is fine, it gets the auto-bid and allows for the good teams to schedule tough out of conference games. There is already one young cannon fodder team in the conference (sorry Marquette) and one bad program (not sorry Providence), one team that had a couple OK years (St. John's), two that are consistently average (Nova and Gtown), and the hotshot new team (Denver). No need to add anymore average to below average teams.

We are what we are, nothing to be sorry about towards us. Surprisingly good inaugural season,though. I was just hoping we could win one or two games over the year. :lol:

I agree with what you're saying, we shouldn't be adding right now. Lacrosse conferences are unstable because there are so many affiliate programs around, not because of the number 6. We're a lacrosse conference as part of a primary conference, same rules don't apply. Denver is the only threat to the number 6, and if Fox wants them in the Big East (remember Fox inked ECAC Lacrosse very recently) they probably aren't leaving. If they do leave, if any of our other schools raise lacrosse or a new member has lacrosse, we'll probably never see an affiliate in the sport again.

Don't think I've said it prior to this post, but I very much wonder if Fox moved Denver into our conference. ...at least once Johns Hopkins was a definite not happening. Makes sense. Their ECAC Lacrosse contract is probably void now, so they can just pump a little extra to Denver while mixing them into the property they already own full rights to, us. Not sure what their plans are, but this falls into the important point that Fox owns all of our athletic content. It's possible that we're a freebie set of opponents for a property they want, Denver.
yorost

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeltaV » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:52 pm

BillEsq wrote:
yorost wrote:Aren't seven (six with previous Big East ties) associates already confirmed? Denver is the only new associate post split. everyone else would have been playing in the Big East next year, anyways. Aresco signed Old Dominion in field hockey, which was an excellent get.

Anyone missing for this list?

Denver
Louisville (1 year)
Rutgers (1 year)
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Old Dominion

I think Men's Swimming will include SMU but i dunno if that's official yet Maybe that's a question for Delta if he heard anything through the swimming grapevine. Its a winter sport so there isn't as much reason to push and the announcement.

Can't help much, unfortunately. If things are like they were when I was there, my old coach probably gets most of his re-allignment news from ESPN like the rest of us.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby BillEsq » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 am

NovaSpider wrote:
MUSeashells&Balloons wrote: Bellarmine is a great lacrosse program

You may have a different definition of great than me. Since the jump in 2005 Bellarmine has had 2 winning seasons (2005, 2010). 2005 was a good season at 13 -2 but this was their schedule http://www.laxpower.com/common/show_sch ... _year=2005 . 2009 was a strong team in a good conference.

I don't think you need to add a team to the conference. 6 teams is fine, it gets the auto-bid and allows for the good teams to schedule tough out of conference games. There is already one young cannon fodder team in the conference (sorry Marquette) and one bad program (not sorry Providence), one team that had a couple OK years (St. John's), two that are consistently average (Nova and Gtown), and the hotshot new team (Denver). No need to add anymore average to below average teams.

I think you forget that BU was ranked 20th at one point this past year. However any discussions about Bellarmine Lacrosse in the BE are moot now. They are now in the Atlantic Sun with former rival NKY. This to me shows that they have rekindled their desire to move to Div 1 in all sports. After a case of beer i still wouldn't be delusional enough to suggest that Bellarmine would be a candidate fore the BE in all sports. It looks like the entrance into the Asun is preliminary to a full move to Div 1 in a few years.
BillEsq

Postby NovaSpider » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:08 pm

BillEsq wrote: I think you forget that BU was ranked 20th at one point this past year. However any discussions about Bellarmine Lacrosse in the BE are moot now.

Didn't forget. Nova was ranked 20th as well, wouldn't consider them to be a great program either. My point was there is no point in adding mediocre programs (not just Bellarmine) to a mediocre league. All new teams in the BE should be moot right now. The auto bid is there, the only way a Big East team gets an at large now is playing a tough out of conference schedule. Since there are no big fish left in the pond, might as well have an extra out of conference. Just my opinion.
NovaSpider

Postby BillEsq » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:56 pm

NovaSpider wrote:
BillEsq wrote: I think you forget that BU was ranked 20th at one point this past year. However any discussions about Bellarmine Lacrosse in the BE are moot now.

Didn't forget. Nova was ranked 20th as well, wouldn't consider them to be a great program either. My point was there is no point in adding mediocre programs (not just Bellarmine) to a mediocre league. All new teams in the BE should be moot right now. The auto bid is there, the only way a Big East team gets an at large now is playing a tough out of conference schedule. Since there are no big fish left in the pond, might as well have an extra out of conference. Just my opinion.

Agreed... i wouldn't want to have Bellarmine confused with a major power. However BE associate Denver is pretty close and on an year to year basis could challenge for an at large bid. I still have high hopes for BE lacrosse. Whether or not the conference expands I hope at minimum the current conference members take some of their Fox money and invest in Lacrosse. With how that sport is growing and the fact that there is no other BE sponsored sport with that kind of exposure in the Spring the return should be nice. Unfortunately Bellarmine looks to be eying the full transition to Division 1 (which I'm trying to get comfortable with) so any BU to BE rumors for lacrosse should be considered dead. I do see Bellarmine scoring lots of games against BE opponents Marquette in particular the fact that it is in Louisville and a relatively convenient travel opponent out midwest. I would love to see a Bellarmine v Marquette series in lacrosse. would give me another excuse to wander up to Milwaukee and enjoy Maders. Never enough reasons to visit Milwaukee.
BillEsq

Postby BillikensWin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 pm

BillEsq wrote:
NovaSpider wrote:

Agreed... i wouldn't want to have Bellarmine confused with a major power. However BE associate Denver is pretty close and on an year to year basis could challenge for an at large bid. I still have high hopes for BE lacrosse. Whether or not the conference expands I hope at minimum the current conference members take some of their Fox money and invest in Lacrosse. With how that sport is growing and the fact that there is no other BE sponsored sport with that kind of exposure in the Spring the return should be nice. Unfortunately Bellarmine looks to be eying the full transition to Division 1 (which I'm trying to get comfortable with) so any BU to BE rumors for lacrosse should be considered dead. I do see Bellarmine scoring lots of games against BE opponents Marquette in particular the fact that it is in Louisville and a relatively convenient travel opponent out midwest. I would love to see a Bellarmine v Marquette series in lacrosse. would give me another excuse to wander up to Milwaukee and enjoy Maders. Never enough reasons to visit Milwaukee.

I honestly think Bellarmine is 100x the sports program of SIU-Edwardsville, so D-1 is surely attainable. Hell, I'd take USI over Edwardsville in terms of athletic prowess.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby BillEsq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:27 am

admin wrote:
BillEsq wrote: I do want to say that this site kicks butt and you do a remarkable job maintaining it :!: the trolls are few and far in between and this might be one of the most cordial sites in all of college sports... I applaud your efforts.

Thanks. It's just something we do for fun. Hopeful to add a bit more as the season nears.

Impressive.... I commend you on your changes!!!! I know basketball will get the majority of the posts but i hope people give some love to these non-revs...
BillEsq

Previous

Return to Big East Men's Sports